Translate

Monday 22 February 2021

Toothpaste tubes and toothbrushes - At last a tube that can be recycled!

El primer tubo de pasta de dientes reciclable

 

The problem: The small size, blended material and leftover toothpaste inside toothpaste tubes – and other tube-based containers – make recycling almost impossible. As for toothbrushes, their slender shape and blend of plastic and nylon bristles make them tough to disassemble and recycle.

Who does it? Toothpaste and toothbrush manufacturers, including consumer giant Colgate-Palmolive, manufacture these non-recyclable products.

What is the solution? Since being served with a shareholder resolution by As You Sow (AYS) a non-profit environmental protection group in 2012, Colgate-Palmolive has been working with AYS to create a recyclable toothpaste tube or package. 

And as you can see from the photo they have done it!  I have seen these for sale in our local Eroski Syp supermarket. When my current tube runs out I will be buying one!                                                                                           

It is a great step forward!  Maybe now more manufacturers will do the same!

Unfortunately the same cannot be said for toothbrushes! I don´t like to throw them away so after I have finished with them for teeth cleaning, they get used for all kinds of cleaning things, I have even cleaned the rims of my car with them! They are great for reaching those hard to get places!  But when they eventually run out of use, I have been keeping them in a pot along with dental flossing harps and other things and when I have filled up the pot I take them along to the recycling centre on the poligono.


I contacted  the Residus here in Menorca (that´s them above)  and asked them if they would consider placing a container along side all the others they have at the recycling centre to place these types of things in. They replied that at the moment there was not a service available for the old toothbrushes and other bits, however the tubes of toothpaste could be placed in the yellow container and sent off to the relevant place for treatment.

 The blog song for today is "Make me smile" by Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel

TTFN      


No comments:

Post a Comment